Carlo Ancelotti surprised Dominic Calvert-Lewin goal scoring streak


Carlo Ancelotti admitted that even he is surprised by Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s consistency after the Everton striker scored twice in a 3-2 win over Fulham.

The 23-year-old grabbed the opener at Craven Cottage after just 42 seconds and followed it up with yet another first-half effort to reach double figures in the Premier League this season.

The double put Calvert-Lewin, who has recently established himself as a back-up for Harry Kane with England, at the top of the scoring list and up to 13 overall for the Toffs this season, and his Italian manager is very happy.

“Now at this moment he is really focused in the box,” said Ancelotti. “Every ball that comes from the cross, he is ready and there.

“He’s doing really well. Honestly, I did not expect him to have the consistency he has during this period.”

When asked if the one-time Sheffield United youth could continue his form and challenge the golden boot, Ancelotti did not play down on his chances.

He added: “I hope for him because it would be good for us! Winning the golden boot would mean he scored many goals and good for the club too, but I do not know.









2:56

FREE TO SEE: Highlights from Everton’s win over Fulham in the Premier League

“The goal is not this for him, the goal is to score goals to help the team stay at the top of the table.”

After three consecutive defeats, the five-goal thriller at Craven Cottage got Everton back to winning ways and returning them to the top six. But Ancelotti insisted: “At this moment we do not need to look at the table.

“We started really well and had a difficult period, now the difficult period is gone and we have to have consistency in our results. Every game will be a test, but our goal is to fight for the top of the table, not the bottom. “

Fulham boss Scott Parker was left with mixed feelings after goals from Bobby Decordova-Reid and Ruben Loftus-Cheek could not earn them any reward.



Scott Parker on the touchline during Fulham's match against Everton







1:28

Scott Parker says Fulham will take the positive from their second-half performance against Everton as they lost 3-2 on Sunday

He also saw his team again fail to convert a spot-kick, with Ivan Cavaleiro as the last player to waste an opportunity from 12 yards after Aleksandar Mitrovic and Ademola Lookman both had penalty kicks saved earlier this period.

“You could not have written it,” Parker said. “All I can say is that over the last 10 days we have put things in place and worked tirelessly in terms of preparation and understanding of the process.

“Ivan is an extraordinary penalty kicker and the last time I was in this situation with Ades, I was angry and disappointed with the way we missed it, but today these things can happen. Of course disappointed, but he slipped, it was one of Those things. “

Ivan Cavaleiro
Image:
Fulham have missed five of their last eight Premier League penalties, including the last three, all taken by different players (Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ademola Lookman and Ivan Cavaleiro)

Cavaleiro slipped and could only shoot over the rib in the 68th minute with Everton already 3-1 up, and although Loftus-Cheek pulled one back two minutes later, Fulham suffered a seventh defeat in the campaign.

Parker was disappointed with the lack of play that was shown during opening 45 despite an improvement after the break.

“The second half there was a reaction, but it was not going to come from a rolling in the break,” he added. “This team can produce what we lacked in the first half. We have shown that.

“We can be successful this year, I know that. We are a very good team, but at the same time we have some shortcomings.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *