The Rockets traded the disgruntled guard James Harden to the Nets Wednesday as part of a four-team deal that also involved the Cavaliers and Pacers, according to several reports. DeMarcus Cousins is unlikely to send him a walking gift.
After the Rockets’ loss to the Lakers on Tuesday night, Harden offered a hard review of Houston’s roster and essentially put his exit request directly into the microphone.
“(We are) just not good enough,” Harden said. “Of course chemistry, talent, just about everything. And it was clear, as I said, the last few games. They were just aggressive from the start of the game. Veteran teams, obviously, championship teams, one of the best teams we have in this league.
“I love this city. I’ve literally done everything I can. I mean, this situation is crazy. It’s something I do not think can be solved.”
Cousins heard these comments and he did not like them. “Boogie” responded with a blowtorch Wednesday before Harden was traded. Here is a collection of quotes from his media session.
– If he felt betrayed by Harden: “Personally, I do not feel betrayed at all. My interest was to play with John Wall to be brutally honest. That said, disrespectful [from Harden] started long before any interview. Just the approach to training camp where he showed up the way he did and the pranks off the field. Lack of respect started long before.
“This is not something that happened suddenly last night. But having said that, as I said, this is the ugly part of the business. That’s what it is.”
“I do not feel betrayed at all. My interest was to play with John Wall to be brutally honest.”
DeMarcus Cousins continues if he feels betrayed by James Harden. pic.twitter.com/yRlyOFw0In
– ESPN (@espn) January 13, 2021
– At Harden, the team says is not good enough: “It’s obviously disrespectful, but everyone has a right to their opinion. We feel a certain way in some of his actions. This is the uncomfortable part of the business that kind of sweeps under the rug. You deal with these types of things, and when “Guys are in positions like franchise players or whatever, it’s usually an ugly breakup sometimes. Like I said, it’s all part of this business.”
DeMarcus Cousins at James Harden’s press last night: “It’s obviously disrespectful, but everyone has words for their opinion. We feel a certain way in some of his actions …” pic.twitter.com/qyFYxpXzxT
– Adam Spolane (@AdamSpolane) January 13, 2021
– When Harden is disrespectful: “I just want it to be a way of doing business. He can feel how he wants to be with the organization or what his current situation is, but the other 14 guys in the locker room have done nothing against him. So too us being at the receiving end of some of the disrespectful comments and pranks, it is completely unfair to us.
“Like I said, we did nothing against him. We just showed up for work, like everyone else, and came in ready to work. So like I said, that’s totally unfair to the rest of the guys in changing room. “
DeMarcus Cousins on James Harden: “He could feel how he wanted to be with the organization, but the other 14 guys in that locker room have done nothing against him. For us to be on the receiving end of some of the disrespectful comments and antics, it’s completely unfair to us. ” pic.twitter.com/s6jumGIYLG
– Salman Ali (@SalmanAliNBA) January 13, 2021
– If there is any way the team could play with Harden again: “I do not really think it’s a question for us. I think it’s a question for him. Will he ever think he could play with us again? I do not know. Honestly, do not care.”